How to Enter Basic Commitment Data in EPBCS using Smart View
This article covers the process of entering basic Commitment data using Task 7.2 Enter Basic Commitment Data within the Resource Commitment Tracking Tool (RCTT). The task has been split into two forms: Task 7.2A Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified and Task 7.2B Enter Basic Commitment Data - Full. While the "Full" version is still available for viewing, this article will describe commitment data entry using the Simplified version. Please note that the following steps are for users of Excel Smart View.
- For information on entering basic Commitment Data in EPBCS via the EPBCS Web Application, please refer to KB003375: How to Enter Basic Commitment Data in EPBCS Web Application.
- Task 7.2A Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified is a data entry form that captures minimal basic information about a Commitment, but does not include Commitment Amounts.
- This form displays all Commitment records under a selected POV, but data should only be entered on Source Commitment records (primarily Base Commitment, occasionally Reclass Commitment).
- Data should not be entered on Transfer In Commitment records, as these are the view-only records produced for the Destination.
- Cell colors have meaning:
- Light orange fields indicate data has been entered but not saved. All data must be saved by clicking the Submit Data button in the Smart View Excel ribbon before proceeding to the next task.
- Pale yellow fields with data indicate data in the field has been saved and submitted to the database.
- Grey fields are view-only.
- Red fields require input before Commitment can be finalized.
- Special characters can cause issues in databases, and should not be used in values or descriptions, for more information on special characters, see Oracle's article on Naming Restrictions for Dimensions, Members, and Aliases.
- Additional data, including Commitment Amounts, are entered in Task 7.3 Enter Commitment Details.
Navigating to Task 7.2A Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified in Smart View
- Open Excel workbook and connect to EPBCS Planning environment.
- Login using Single Sign-On.
- In the Private Connections Smart View panel, expand each node in the connection panel by clicking the ‘+’ symbols until you see the Task Lists folder, then click on the ‘+’ symbol next to Task Lists to populate the list of commitment tracking forms.
- Double-click 7 - Create and Manage Commitments to expand the Task List. This will result in a new view in the panel.
- Double-click task 7.2A Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified to render the form in the active Excel sheet.
Locating Commitment Record
- With the Task 7.2A form open in the sheet, search for the relevant CTID by using the Ctrl + F key combination.
- Click the Find All or Find Next buttons until you navigate to the correct Base Commitment or Reclass Commitment record.
- From the POV, you may change the Financial Unit selection to the Financial Unit you are working on in order to narrow down the results in the form.
- If you are unable to find the CTID you are looking for, make sure your Financial Unit selection is broad enough.
- Within the POV, you are able to select a single Financial Unit or a parent level member of the Financial Unit hierarchy.
Enter Basic Commitment Data
- Once you have located the correct record, select the status of the record (e.g., Active, Inactive, Completed, Hold) under CT Commitment Status.
- Ignore values in CT Pushed for now - this value is auto-populated based upon an action on another form, and cannot be edited within form 7.2A.
- Enter the name of your commitment in the CT Name field, making sure to avoid restricted special characters and line breaks.
- Under the CT Created By dropdown menu, select your name.
- Within the CT Source Notes field, enter any notes you wish to associate with the Commitment. These notes will be visible to anyone with access to the Base Commitment/Reclass Commitment record, but will not be visible to the Destination (unless they have access to the Base/Reclass record).
- To save what you have entered, click Submit Data within the Smart View Excel ribbon.
NOTE: When you make any edits to the form, the cell you are editing will turn light orange. When you click on the Submit Data button, the cell will turn back to pale yellow to indicate that the data has been submitted to the database.
- If you need to enter data for multiple CTIDs, repeat Steps #1-6 as needed.
- When ready to enter additional Commitment details (e.g., Commitment Amount, Destination chartstring, Start/End dates), locate the relevant CTID and right-click on that cell to open the Action Menu.
- Select Smart View located at the bottom of the Action Menu, and select one of the Details Time Horizon views. Generally, you will want to select a View that encapsulates the duration of your Commitment (i.e. select Details 1 Year Horizon for a One-Time Commitment in the current FY, or Details 5 Year Horizon for a One-Time Multi-Year Commitment spanning between 3 and 5 years).
- This selection will generate Task 7.3 Enter Commitment Details where you can enter additional information and take action on your Commitment.