This article demonstrates how to do the following: Create a Journal in Oracle by Line, Create a Journal via Spreadsheet, Use of Journal Naming Convention, Attach Journal Supporting Documentation, Withdraw a Journal, and Review and Approve a Journal.
- Oracle role assignment of UCSD GL Journal Entry JR will be limited to select VC department contacts.
- Internal controls surround the ability to create and approve Journal Entries in order to maintain security around the University’s financial statements, therefore access to create and approve Journal Entries will be limited/restricted.
- GL Journal Entry Preparer is independent from a GL Journal Approver.
- To check if you have access to create or approve Journals, from the OFC home page, go to General Accounting > Journals, then click on the Task icon and you should see either Create Journal or Manage Approvals
- If you do not see any of the above options, you do not have access to create or approve Journals.
- Oracle is case sensitive, so be aware of capitals.
- The Journal will be posted at the General Ledger level, not in PPM.
- For Fiscal Year End journals, use period Jun-XX (do not use 13_Jun-XX).
- Correcting transactions should be done at the source of the transaction, refer to KB0033191: Cost Transfer Guide for correcting PPM transactions
- Supporting documentation must be attached to each Journal.
Prepare a Journal in Oracle by Line
- Click on General Accounting, select Journals.
- Click on Task Icon, then under heading Journals Create Journal and compete the following in each of the sections.
- Section: Journal Batch
- Journal Batch: *See below for Journal Batch naming guidelines
- Description: Enter a description of Journal, enter any references to Services and Support Case numbers here.
- Balance Type: Actual
- Accounting Period: Defaults to current period, it must be an open period.
- Attach supporting documentation to your Journal (this will be reviewed and required during journal approval, otherwise the journal will be rejected).
i. Have your supporting documentation saved on your computer.
ii. Next to Attachments, click on the plus sign (+)
iii. Click on Browse and select your file to upload by clicking open.
iv. Update Title and Description fields
v. For additional files, click the plus sign (+) again next to View.
vi. If there are no more files to add, click on OK.
- Section: Journal
- Journal: Use the same naming convention as used in Journal Batch above and naming guidelines below*
- Description: Enter a description of Journal, it can be the same as above. Service and Support Case numbers should be referenced in the description.
- Ledger: UCSD (unless you work in Foundation)
- Accounting Date: Date of entry or date of Journal posting within the open period.
- Category: Manual
- Section: Journal Lines
- For line 1, under Account, enter the 12 segment Chart String, which can be typed in the field.
- If you do not know a segment of the chart string, click on the Search icon.
- Each segment must have a value (a zero value is acceptable in some segments) and title/name.
- Use the drop down arrow to search for the segment.
- If you know the segment value and you type it in the field, you must see the segment name display, if it is not there, you will have to click on the drop down and select the Value, then press Enter
- For further assistance in finding segments, please refer to KB0032301: How to Determine my Chart String.
- If you can not get out of the screen, there may be a Cross Validation Issue, please refer to KB0032302 What are Cross Validation Rules (CVRs)?
- Enter the Debit amount.
- Enter a Description for the Journal.
- Repeat for the next line:
- There will be a minimum of 2 lines, a Debit and Credit line.
- Total Debit amounts must equal total Credit amounts.
- Click Save, this does NOT submit for approval.
- Click Post, this submits the Journal for approval.
- If you want to check to see if it was sent for approval, next to Journal Batch heading, click on Show More.
- Click on Action Log tab, Action column, should state, Sent for approval.
Create Journal via Spreadsheet
First Time Upload
Skip this section if you have already prepared Excel for Oracle Integration.
- On any OFC page, click on the Navigator button on top left.
2. In Tools, select Download Desktop Integration and Open the file, click Next and then Install.
- If the option to open is not available and it only saved, go to your Downloads folder and run the file by double clicking on adfdi-excel-addin-installer-current-user.msi, click Next and then Install.
4. If you have any existing Excel files open, close them. Open a new Excel spreadsheet and click on Install.
5. Check download by going to select File > Options > Add-ins and check for Oracle ADF Desktop Integration Add-in for Excel. If the add-on is not there, restart your computer.
If this is the first time uploading a spreadsheet to Oracle, complete the steps in the First Time Upload section above.
- On the OFC Home page, click on General Accounting, select Journals.
- On the right, select Tasks panel
- Under Journals, select Create Journal in Spreadsheet and open the Excel spreadsheet.
- In Excel, click on Enable Editing at the top of the spreadsheet and click OK to connect to the Oracle connection.
- Sign in with your Oracle credentials and Company Single Sign-On (The most recent version of the Add-in must be used, therefore you may need to install an update and Excel must be restarted after the installation completes).
- Complete the Journal Header
- Journal: *See below for Journal naming guidelines
- Description: Enter a description of the Journal
- Ledger: UCSD
- Accounting Date: The date should be in an open period.
- Category: Enter Manual and the cells below it blank.
- Enter Accrual if your journal should be reversing. This will reverse your journal in the next period on the first, unless if you enter the following fields:
- Reversal Period
- Reversal Date
- Complete columns Journal rows
- Columns E through P: for chartstring segments
- Column Q Currency: USD
- Columns R or S: Enter the Debit or Credit amount
- Column Y Line Description: Enter a description of the Journal entry.
- Confirm that there is an black triangle in column A for each row that has data entered.
- If additional rows are needed, insert rows within the rows that are shaded and a black triangle should automatically appear.
- Ensure that Total Entered Debit and Total Entered Credit net to zero.
- If additional rows are needed, insert rows between the already existing data rows and only add rows that will have data entry and complete steps 7 and 8.
- In the toolbar, go to tab Create Journal > Submit to upload Journal to Oracle
- In Submission Options dialog box:
- Select Submit Journal Import, this uploads to Oracle, but does not process the upload through for approval and allows for edits and attachments to be made to the journal.
- Select Yes with validation under Import Descriptive Flexfields.
- Click Submit
Attach supporting documentation to spreadsheet journal
- Go to General Accounting > Journals > Tasks panel on right, select Manage Journals.
- Search by Journal Name or Journal Batch and click on Search.
- Click on your journal.
- Attach supporting documentation to your Journal (this will be reviewed and required during journal approval, otherwise the journal will be rejected) .
- Have your supporting documentation saved on your computer.
- Next to Attachments, click on the plus sign (+)
- Click on Browse and select your file to upload by clicking open.
- Update Title and Description fields.
- For additional files, click the plus sign (+) again next to View.
- If there are no more files to add, click on OK.
- Click Save, this does NOT submit for approval.
- Click Post, this submits the Journal for approval.
*Journal and Journal Batch Naming Guidelines
Each Journal and Journal Batch name should start with: VC Abbreviation + Sub Department Abbreviation (if applicable) + Preparer Initials + Journal number (use a 4 digit number).
For Fiscal Year End closing (period 12) reversal journal entries, prefix the entire name with YE## (## being the last two digits of the year) + VC Abbreviation + Sub Department Abbreviation (if applicable) + Preparer Initials + Journal number.
- VC Abbreviation: Use the following abbreviations for the Entity (Central Offices see second chart below)
|Health Physician Group
|Population Health Svc Orgn (PHSO)
|Chief Financial Officer
|Resource Management and Planning
|Office of the President
|Equity Diversity Inclusion
|CEO of Medical Center
|UCSD UCOP Current (ALPHA ledger ALPHA funds)
|Medical Center UCOP Elimination Entries
** MC/PG/PHSO are to follow Medical Center Journal naming structure
*** Entities where there are no real departments, therefore VC Area does not apply and should not be used
- For Central Offices, the Journal and Journal Batch name should start with the CO Abbreviation + Preparer Initials + Journal number (use a 4 digit number).
- For Fiscal Year End closing (period 12) reversal journal entries, prefix the entire name with YE## (## being the last two digits of the year) + CO Abbreviation + Preparer Initials + Journal number.
|Central Offices (CO)
|Internal Controls and Accounting
|Campus Budget Office
- Sub Department Abbreviation - include if applicable and guidelines are based on Department selection.
- Preparer's Initial
- Include the first initial of First and Last name of the preparer after the Sub Department abbreviation.
- If there are multiple people in the department with the same initials, use a middle name initial to differentiate personnel.
- Journal Number
- Use a 4 digit number to keep track of your journal, start with 0001, then 0002 etc.
How to Delete or Withdraw a Journal Entry
- Withdrawing a Journal is when you want to remove the Journal from your approvers' queue and make edits. It then will need to be submitted again for approval to be posted.
- Deleting a Journal is when you want to Journal to be completely removed from the system and no one can make edits or see the Journal.
- You can not do either option if the Journal has been approved and posted.
- Refer to KB0034355: How to Delete or Withdraw a Journal Entry
Review and Approve Journal
The Journal is first sent to creator's assigned Line Manager (Department Manager) per the Oracle Directory for approval. Once approved by the Department Manager, the journal will be sent to the Central Office for approval. The Journal will post after both Departments approve the Journal Entry.
For reviewing and approving journals:
- Go to General Accounting > Journals > Manage Approvals, look for the notification at the top right on the Bell icon that there is an Approval Pending.
- We recommend clicking on the Journal to review and then click on Post to approve, rather than Approving without reviewing.
- If you click on Reject it will send an email notification to the preparer to review and resubmit.
- Another way to review is to click on the Task icon, then Manage Journals, then look for the Journal to approve, click on Post to Approve the Journal.