How to Request an Oracle PPM Award Temporary Extension
This article describes the interim process for requesting a temporary extension on a Sponsored Project to allow for continued spending until Award modification is received.
Understanding Dates in Oracle PPM:
- Expenditure Item (EI) Date: Date a cost was incurred (service or good provided)
- Project End Date: Date Project ends
- Award End Date: Date Award ends this is derived from the Contract End Date.
- Our configuration has the Project End Date=Award End Date.
- Oracle functionality (not a configuration) is such that EI Date must be within:
- Project End Date, regardless of accounting posting date.
- Project End Dates cannot be backdated once sent.
- Budget Period Dates, regardless of accounting posting date.
- Budget Period Dates cannot be backdated once sent (Oracle functionality and is a highly rated enhancement request from the Grants community)
- Control Budget Dates.
- Contracts drive billing controls (dates and dollars)
- Contract (Award) Dates, regardless of accounting posting date.
- Award End Date will also stop transactions from posting, but we are able to manually adjust the end date to a future or past date.
- Sponsored Projects Expenses are allowable if they are incurred during the Award.
- In IFIS, if costs posted to the ledger after the Award End Date, departments had to justify they were incurred during the time of the Award.
- In Oracle, they just need to provide the correct EI Date, which is a system-driven control for Sponsored Research.
- PPM Costs that are not able to be posted for date issues are considered Unprocessed Costs.
Mid-month End Date Awards:
- OCGA will encourage negotiations to have end of month end dates.
- Promote that source systems are checking Project End Date changes that post to Projects within 14 days of the End Date of the Project.
- This would cause the costs to post to Unprocessed Costs and Sponsored Projects Finance (SPF) would review allowability and edit the EI date if the costs were reflective of the mid month end date.
Awards Waiting for Amendment:
- If a department is waiting for a modification from the agency to extend dates of the Award, the department will take the steps below to request a Date Extension:
- The request submitted to SPF will include a brief justification and support (such as email indicating ongoing work) from the PI and Business Officer as outlined below.
- Included in the request is an acknowledgement that any costs incurred after the NOA will be borne by the department.
- SPF will review and process either (a) a new Project under the same Award with a 12 month timeline and/or (b) update the Award End Dates by 12 months.
- If the new modification is not received in that time period, the department can request an additional 6 months, with escalated approvals.
1. Submit an Oracle PPM Award Temporary Extension Request using the selections shown here.
2. In the Description field you must indicate the following:
a. Indicate which of the following 2 extensions types you are requesting on the Oracle PPM Award:
1. Results in a one-time 12 month extension on the Award/Project but requires department leadership approval (MSO/DBO) and is subject to SPF review*
- For Flow Thru Awards where carry over requires prior approval or anytime the Contract requires separate yearly billing, a new Project will be created in most cases instead of extending current Project dates.
- The original proposal should refer to the projected length of work (departments can elaborate on exceptions).
2. Results in an additional 6 month extension on the Award/Project (18 months total), but requires MSO, PI, and SPF Associate Director approval.
- *SPF will review and extend current Project periods, or, with department partnership create a new Project under the same Award.
b. OFC Award Number
c. Project Number (7-numeric)
d. Brief Justification
- Example of Request Justification:
- Award xxxx is ending on xxxx
- However, we are expecting a modification on this Award and it is currently held up due to xxxx.
- Attached is the support from the PI that this work is continuing based on correspondence with the Sponsor.
- Also attached is confirmation from the Business Officer that the department is responsible for any costs incurred beyond the Sponsor approved Award End Date.
- It is understood that if the modification is not received, the department will need to process Cost Transfers to a discretionary source.
- Costs would be moved to the department default Project if no other source is provided.
3. MSOs should certify understanding of the following in their approval, I certify my understanding that by approving this request, if the amendment is not made available, the department will be responsible for covering the costs with discretionary funds.
4. Attach approvals as required by the extension requested on the Oracle PPM Award e.g., Extension Request 1 or 2.