How To Review Oracle & Concur Access Requests as an Approver
This document serves as the guide for approving Oracle and Concur role requests and will help you understand the role approval process, recognize common errors when reviewing role requests, and prevent incorrect approvals.
- Role approvers are assigned by the Financial Unit's manager.
- Separate requests for different Business Units (i.e., one business unit per request).
- One request submission for workflow approver roles may require many approvals to be done before the request is closed.
- If someone requested roles for the wrong Financial Unit, then reject the request and ask the person to make a new request with the correct Financial Unit.
1. Log into Services and Support.
2. Click My Stuff and then click Approvals.
3. Select the Requested Item (starts with RITM) to view the details of the request (example below).
The type of request is shown after the person's name:
- Grant Access Oracle System Roles: this means standard Oracle roles are being requested.
- Grant Access Oracle Elevated Roles: this means elevated Oracle roles are being requested.
- UCSD GL Journal Entry JR is the only elevated role that departmental users may need to request with VC central office approval.
- All other elevated roles should not be requested unless there is prior instruction from the domain lead.
- Grant Access Oracle & Concur Approvers: this means workflow approver roles are being requested.
- "Approval for DH" means the approver is reviewing the Department Head level for the financial unit that follows (in the image below, substitute OFC-UCSD Campus Elevated Roles for a financial unit code).
- "Approval for FINU" means the approver is reviewing the financial unit approver level.
- "Approval for PCARD" means the approver is reviewing the Procurement Card Administrator level.
- "Approval for SE" means the approver is reviewing the Special Entertainment approver level.
- "Approval for CT" means the approver is reviewing the cost transfer approver level.
d. Grant Access Oracle & Concur Other Roles: this means a purchasing authority is being requested.
4. Review the details of the request and note the follow items in the details of the request:
- Submitted by: refers person who completed the request form in support.ucsd.edu.
- Who is this request for?: refers to the person that will have the requested access added to their account.
- Supervisor: disregard this line, N/A
- Requestor Financial Business Unit: refers to the business unit person is assigned to.
- Check that the Business Unit the person is requesting for is appropriate.
- Select the Financial Unit that should approve this access request: refers to the financial unit the person works for.
5. Examples of request details by request type:
- Standard Roles: Note the financial unit that should approve this access request is the group of approvers receiving the request.
- Also check that the business unit the person is requesting for is appropriate; most likely an issue for Health Sciences staff.
- Most requests are for the Campus business unit.
- Approver Roles: Note this type of request is only to add workflow roles to the person.
- Also note that Department Head and Special Entertainment approver roles need to have a completed delegation of authority form before the request is submitted.
- Use the guidance in the previous step to determine the level and financial unit the approval is for.
- Purchasing Authority (Department Shopper): The Financial Unit authorizing this delegation needs to be the Financial Unit the person works for.
- NOTE: that last line shows the amount being requested.
6. For elevated role requests, check current roles assigned to the person using the Campus User Roles Report in Oracle.
- Refer to KB0032242: How to Look Up User Roles in Oracle.
- Elevated roles with separation of duties conflicts need other controls in place to prevent or detect errors or fraud from occurring.
7. Approve or Reject buttons
- Approve: use to move request forward in the workflow process.u
- Reject: will end the request for standard and elevated Oracle roles.
- Workflow roles will continue through all Financial Units requested until all Financial Units selected in the request are rejected.
- Enter comments
- Include the specific reason for the rejection in this area.
- If there are several errors with the request, such as multiple elevated roles being requested by a departmental user, then simply note that elevated roles are not being provisioned to departmental users.