How to Claim a Commitment ID in EPBCS using Smart View
This article will describe how to claim a Commitment ID via Task 7.1, which is the first step in creating a new Commitment record in the Resource Commitment Tracking Tool (RCTT). This guide is catered for users of Excel Smart View.
- Please note, KB0033724: How to Claim a Commitment ID in EPBCS via the EPBCS Web Application is a separate article.
- Claiming a Commitment ID (CTID) immediately removes that ID from the available pool while the user continues to enter data associated with that Commitment.
- When claiming the CTID, the user must select the Funding Source and Budget Type (Recurring, One Time, One Time Multi Year) for the Commitment.
- Funding Sources and Destinations are selected at the Financial Unit - Project - Fund - Function level in the RCTT, in alignment with the way resources are transferred on the General Ledger.
- The Recurring Budget Type should only be used if the Commitment is meant to increase the Destination’s Recurring Base Budget:
- If a Commitment amount is regularly distributed year-after-year, but is not Base-building, user should select a Budget Type of One Time Multi Year.
- Open Excel workbook and connect to EPBCS Planning environment.
- Login using Single Sign-On.
- Use the + signs to expand the UCSDPLAN and Task List menus, and double-click on 7 - Create and Manage Commitments to open the relevant Task List.
- Double-click task 7.1 Activate Commitment to render the form in the active Excel sheet.
- Select the appropriate information from the POV drop-down menus. Starting with the Financial Unit drop-down, click on the down arrow to select the desired Financial Unit available to you. Alternatively, you may search for a Financial Unit by typing directly into the field.
- Repeat this step for the desired Project, Fund, Function, and Budget Type.
Note: Only Financial Units that you have access to are available in the drop-down menu. Make sure you select a valid Financial Unit/Project combination, or you will receive an error message when attempting to activate the CTID. You are able to select PJ0000000 : No Project if you wish to transfer resources only at the Financial Unit-Fund-Function level.
- Click on the Refresh button located in the far-right of the POV. Once you refresh, the selection POV information appears at the top of the form.
- Right-click on an available CTID located in Column A (i.e., CT000000). Make note of this CTID (for a future step in Task 7.2). In the pop-up menu, hover your cursor over Smart View, then click on Activate | Create Commitment.
- A confirmation message displays indicating the activation was successful - click OK to return to the Task.
- If you need to activate multiple CTIDs, repeat Steps #5-9 as needed.
- When ready to move on, open a new Excel sheet - within the Smart View panel on the new sheet, double-click task 7.2A Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified to render the form on the active sheet.