How to Claim a Commitment ID in EPBCS Web Application
This article describes how to claim a Commitment ID via Task 7.1, which is the first step in creating a new Commitment record in the Resource Commitment Tracking Tool (RCTT). Please note, the following steps are for users of the EPBCS web application.
- How to Claim a Commitment ID in EPBCS using Smart View is a separate article.
- Claiming a Commitment ID (CTID) immediately removes that ID from the available pool while the user continues to enter data associated with that Commitment.
- When claiming the CTID, the user must select the Funding Source and Budget Type (Recurring, One Time, One Time Multi Year) for the Commitment.
- Funding Sources and Destinations are selected at the Financial Unit>Project>Fund>Function level in the RCTT, in alignment with the way resources are transferred on the General Ledger.
- The Recurring Budget Type should only be used if the Commitment is meant to increase the Destination’s Recurring Base Budget.
- If a Commitment amount is regularly distributed year-after-year, but is not Base-building, user should select a Budget Type of One Time Multi Year.
- Go to EPBCS.
- Login using Single Sign-On.
- On the EPBCS Home Page, click on the Tasks tile.
- Click on the caret to the left of 7—Create and Manage Commitments to expand the Task List.
- Click on Task 7.1 Activate Commitment.
- In 7.1 Activate Commitment, within the POV, in EFinUnit select the Source Financial Unit.
- In the Select a Member dialog box, click on the arrow to the right of parent members to drill through the hierarchy, starting with FU_16000AA: UC San Diego until reaching the desired posting-level Financial Unit. Alternatively, use the Search EFinUnit field, to enter a Financial Unit Number or Name to return a limited set of results.
- Once you have found the desired Financial Unit, select it and verify a blue checkmark displays to the left of your selected Financial Unit, then click OK.
- Repeat this step for the desired Project, Fund, Function, and Budget Type.
NOTE: Only Financial Units that you have access to are available in the drop-down menu. Make sure you select a valid Financial Unit/Project combination, or you will receive an error message when attempting to activate the CTID. You are able to select PJ0000000: No Project if you wish to transfer resources only at the Financial Unit-Fund-Function level.
- If you have changed any fields within the POV (i.e., Financial Unit, Project, Fund, Function, and Budget Type), the POV field will display yellow, indicating that data needs to be passed through the system—click the arrow to the right of the POV to proceed.
- Verify that your Financial Unit, Project, Fund, Function, and Budget Type selections are correct and have passed through - if any yellow selections remain, repeat Step #10.
- Select an available CTID and right-click to initiate the Action Menu, then select Activate | Create Commitment.
NOTE: Make note of this CTID (for a future step in Task 7.2).
- A message displays indicating the commitment activation was successful, and that CTID will no longer be available in the list of Commitment IDs, click OK to return to the Task.
- If you need to activate multiple CTIDs, repeat Steps #6-13 as needed.
- When ready to move on, click Next located in the top-right of the form to begin entering additional data for your commitment(s) in Task 7.2 Enter Basic Commitment Data - Simplified.