How to Update Financial Elements on General Projects
This article describes the steps to take if you want to update financial elements on general projects
- As of May 22, 2022 the central offices will no longer change any of the financial project element(s) on the general project or contract if any transaction has posted to the project or chart string.
- The Oracle dynamic chart allows any combination of segments to be used together.
- UCSD’s Balancing segments are Fund and FinU
- PPM General Project Setup for Costs
- Project owning Org drives FinU
- Task DFFs drive Fund/Function/Program/Location
- PPM Contract Setup for Revenue:
- Contract owning Org drives FinU
- Contract DFF drives Fund and Account (Function is not applicable to revenue)
- A single project.task in Project Portfolio Management (PPM) should always represent a single Entity Fund FinancialUnit (EFF) chart string combination.
- **Exception is when there is a capital project on a sponsored project, account 774011 will also post to FinU 9699908.
Follow the steps outlined below if there has been activity on your project.task and you want to change a Task DFF for Fund/Function/Program or Location or change the project owning organization:
- Note: you must a create a new project or task, once any transaction has been posted to the project or chart string, you cannot change the accounting elements
- Create a new task or project in the Project and Award Data Update Application (PADUA). See KB0033940 for how to use PADUA
- Process resource transfers in GL or cost transfers in Oracle PPM as needed from the old project or task to the new project or task
- Do not use cost transfers for any expenses from prior years, as these expenses have already closed out into net position and is no current year expense to offset. The net impact should be moved through a resource transfer.
- Review the following Knowledge Base Articles for additional information.
- Update any upstream systems and users with the new project.task numbers (consider UCPath, recharges, lab personnel, Requisitions etc.)
- You can inactive/close the old projects/task after the balance has been moved out.
If you are using the project.task for PPM Billing:
- If you need to change the Contract Owning Organization or
- If you have multiple projects that now need to be individual contracts to align with the project financial setup:
- Create a new Contract or additional contracts per project in PPM Contract Management by following the instructions outlined in article KB0032314: How to Create a PPM Contract in Order to Bill External Customers
- End date the current contract. If there are any outstanding unpaid invoices on the current contract, wait until it’s paid to process a resource transfer
- If you need to add/change the Project or task:
- Amend the contract and add the new project or task and mark it active for future invoice by following instructions outlined in article KB0033499: PPM Contract Amendments
If there has not been any activity on your project.task, please attach backup showing that there has not been any activity (such as the GL transactions report) and then submit a ticket as follows:
|Ask a question about how to create a new project/task||About: Financial Accounting|
Related to: Oracle Project Portfolio Management
More Specifically: Create a New or Modify Existing Oracle General Project
and your inquiry will route to the FO SD team
|Ask a question about why & which transactions need a new project/task or about resource transfers||About: Financial Accounting|
Related to: Resource and Cost Transfers
More Specifically: Resource Transfer Inquiries
and your inquiry will route to the Internal Controls & Accounting (ICA) team