Retrieve Data Using QueryLink
Follow this guide to learn how to retrieve data using QueryLink. QueryLink is a web-based tool that allows authorized staff to retrieve data from UCSD's Data Warehouse without needing to use or know a programming language. Data available for querying includes financial, student, and payroll/personal information.
This guide is only a brief overview of the functions available. If you would like more detailed information/training, see the online PowerPoint tutorial or sign-up for QueryLink training classes.
- On QueryLink, click the information icon next to each query for a full explanation of its features and functional purpose.
- Some fields are required, some are selected by default, and some require you to enter your specific criteria.
- QueryLink opens pop-up windows, so be sure to close windows when you move on to another task.
- If you do not have access to the Link applications you need, contact your Department Security Administrator (DSA) for access.
Steps to Take
1. Select a query model that matches your interests
2. Start the query
- Click the query title.
- Enter your login and password.
3. Take a tour of the query
Some fields require more qualification.
- Click all the tabs at the top, moving from left to right.
- Review the fields that each page offers.
- Click on the name of the field to read a description.
- Look through the drop-down lists that many fields offer.
4. Decide how you want the information presented
- Click the drop-down lists at the bottom of each page to see the options. Choosing some of these options will open another window requesting your input.
- Note that in the Query Option: Set Results Row Count, the default retrieves 2000 rows of data.
5. Run a preliminary query
- Enter values in the appropriate fields on all the pages.
- Check the boxes for the fields you'd like to display returned information.
- Leave the default row count at 2000 for this test.
- Click Submit.
- Use this preliminary query to be sure that you're getting what you want.
- Close the preliminary window.
6. Run your query
- Enter all the necessary information.
- Enter the row count that you need. (Enter "0" for an infinite number)
- Click Submit.