Enter Grades in Canvas
Canvas's Gradebook is a secure way for instructors to enter and display grades. Instructors, Graders and TAs can provide feedback on assignments, enter scores from in-class exams, and distribute weights. Enrolled students can only view their own grades by going to Grades in the course menu. Follow the steps below to manually enter grades or grade an individual assignment attempt in Canvas.
- The Gradebook in Canvas is organized into rows and columns, like a spreadsheet. Each row is assigned to an individual student. A column displays a gradable assessment. For a column to appear, a gradable assignment, discussion, survey, or quiz must be created first. Locate the student’s first and last name at the far left of the Gradebook. Then, enter grades by locating the assignment column.
Steps to Take
Manually Enter Grades
- In the side course menu, select Grades.
- Locate the assignment grade column and click directly on a student's grade cell to reveal a text box.
- Enter a numeric grade. Press Enter to submit and automatically move to the next student's grade cell.
Grade an Assignment with SpeedGrader
- In the Gradebook, locate the assignment's column.
- Note: A paper and pen icon indicates a submission that needs grading.
- Hover over the column's name and select the vertical ellipsis.
- Choose SpeedGrader.
- Use the drop down in the top right to choose the student paper in question.
- If the paper is a compatible file type, SpeedGrader's annotation tools can be utilized.
- Provide a numeric point value for the assessment.
- Provide overall assignment comments. An attachment or media recording can also be attached to the student's feedback.
- Select Submit.