Send As / Send on Behalf: Send from a delegated email address or shared mailbox in Outlook
This article will teach you some basic concepts about delegated email addresses or shared mailboxes, the "Send As" and "Send on Behalf" permissions, and how to invoke each permission.
What is a delegated email address?
An email address where you have been added as a delegate and granted Send As or Send on Behalf permissions.
What is a Shared Mailbox?
An email account where multiple people have been granted access to its mailbox. Depending on the business need and how these are configured, they can be set up for one of three behaviors when those people respond to emails received in that mailbox.
What are those three response behaviors?
- Default: Responses to emails will appear with the name of whoever responded as the Sender of the email, ie "from: Kenny Li"
- Send As: Responses will appear as the shared mailbox itself, ie "from: ITS Shared Mailbox"
- Send on Behalf: Responses will appear with the name of the responder, appended with "on behalf of <the display name of the shared mailbox">, ie "from: Kenny Li, on behalf of ITS Shared Mailbox"
Where will these responses be stored after they are sent?
- Any responses sent using either Send As or Send on Behalf features will be saved to the "Sent" folder of the SENDER's mailbox, not the SHARED mailbox.
- This can be changed by mentioning this in your Case when creating a new Shared Mailbox, or by opening a new Case for your local ITS Field Support team
This can also be configured to save copies in the "Sent" folder of BOTH the SENDER and the SHARED mailboxes upon request.
Can I have both Send As and Send on Behalf?
No. "Send on Behalf" naturally supercedes Send As, you will need to decide which permission to set for it to work properly.
How do I request a new shared mailbox?
There will be a future KnowledgeBase article on this topic, and this one will be updated. Stay tuned.
How to use Send As / Send on Behalf permissions
Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- When composing a new message in Outlook on the web you will see that your UCSD Email Address is listed in the From section of the email message. You may need to enable the From: field by clicking on the three dots and select "Show From:".
- When you click on From, other email addresses will be listed that you can send from. You can also click on Other email addresses… to see other options you may have access to send from.
Outlook Desktop App (Windows)
- By default, the From field will not be displayed when you compose a message. To display the From field click on the Options tab and select From in the Show Fields section. Now the From field will be displayed when composing a message in the future.
- When composing a message click on the From in the drop-down box and select Other E-Mail Address.
- Type in the email address here that you wish to Send As and click OK.
- The next time you compose a message the Alternate Email Address will be available from the From Drop Down Box.