Record a Video using Quick Capture in MediaSpace
UC San Diego community members with active directory (AD) credentials can use Kaltura within Canvas or MediaSpace. One of the recording options available is a browser-based app called Quick Capture, which doesn't require you to download any software.
This article walks you through how to find and use Quick Capture in MediaSpace. These instructions apply to all UC San Diego community members with active directory credentials.
Things to keep in mind:
- Quick Capture allows you to capture your screen, camera, and microphone and doesn't require any software installation. You will have to give the web page access to your camera, microphone, and screen, however.
- Use Chrome. Though Quick Capture may work in other browsers, Kaltura strongly recommends Chrome. At the time of this article's publication, for example, we've found that screen capture won't work properly in Safari.
- It can create dual-stream videos. Dual-stream videos are Kaltura media entries that have two videos within them and allow the viewer to arrange them how they choose. If you elect to record your camera and your screen, the video that ends up in your "My Media" will be a dual-stream entry.
- They should be short videos. True to its name, Quick Capture is good for short videos - no more than maybe 10 minutes long - since it's using your browser cache to store the recording locally before uploading it to Kaltura. If you want to record longer videos, consider Kaltura Capture or Zoom.
Steps to Take
- If you’re not already logged into MediaSpace:
- Go to https://mediaspace.ucsd.edu in your web browser. (As mentioned above, you should really use Google Chrome for Kaltura-related activities.)
- Click the profile icon at the top right of the screen and select "Login."
- Enter your active directory credentials.
- Click + Create at the top of the screen and select Quick Capture.
- On the subsequent page, select your recording preferences.
- Click the camera icon to select which camera you want to use. Flip the switch if you don't want to record from any camera.
- Click the microphone icon to select which camera you want to use. Flip the switch if you don't want to record from any microphone.
- Click the screen icon and then flip the switch if you want to record your screen. In the subsequent window, identify what browser tab, window, or screen you want to capture.
Note: The first time you use Quick Capture, your browser may ask you if it's ok if MediaSpace has access to your camera, microphone, and screen recording. Follow the instructions that your operating system provides to do so.
- When you're ready, click the red button to start recording. A 3-second timer should count down.
- When you're done recording your video, click the red button again.
- You can now opt to either record again, download a copy of the video, or use what you just recorded. If you're satisfied with your recording, click Use This.
Note: If you captured your screen and camera, clicking "download a copy" will download 2 separate files to your computer - the camera feed (with audio) and the screen capture (with no audio). You may have to approve a request from your browser to allow MediaSpace to download multiple files.
- Edit any metadata you'd like for the entry and click Save. The entry will need to process for a short time.