Inserting & Formatting Images
Instructions for naming, inserting, and modifying images on Knowledge Base articles.
- Use screenshots sparingly - add screenshots where instructions are ambiguous. This helps make the articles organized and clean for use with a chat client.
- Sizing: Ensure all images have a width of 770px or less. If image is wider, image will be cut off on the customer Knowledge article widget on the portal (Service Hub).
- There are currently no restrictions on height, just be sure the image is scaling appropriately on both dimensions when changing one dimension.
- Never copy/paste images into the article - they won't display correctly in published view. Always attach image to the article.
- Save images in .jpg, .gif, or .png format only. Files such as pdf, .psd, .tff, and .doc are not web compatible
- Verify that images or videos used are not copyrighted content
- Tooltip - text displayed when hovering over the image; description or title of image
- Alt Text - text displayed as a replacement, not a description, for an image. This text will replace image if unable to be rendered or using screen read. The more dependent the text is on the image, the more detailed alt text needs to be.
Steps to Take
Naming Image File
Before uploading image, rename the image file on your computer following these naming conventions:
- Name should use a general word from the title, followed by 1-2 word description of image
- Example: spam-filter-tool, compromised-unlock-account
- All lowercase letters
- Hyphens between separate words (no spaces)
- Use only letters, numbers, hyphens in file names - other characters may cause issues
- Within article, place cursor where you would like image to appear
- On the toolbar, click the insert/edit image icon
- Keep Type Attachment selected
- Enter Tooltip text for when user hovers over image
- Tooltip should be a brief description of title of image
- Enter Alt Text
- Alt text should effectively replace image - not just a description
- If image an important part of the instructions, provide greater details
- Example: Classroom wall box is unlocked when combination lock digits are arranged horizontally
- If image is just an additional aid for text, only need to enter brief alt text
- Example: Screenshot: Edit button in top-right corner
- Enter In Border Thickness, enter 1 (for most images)
- Images with defined edges or images of buttons may not need additional border - use your best judgement
- Click Save
Selecting the image to modify it can be tricky. The most reliable way to select the image is to put your pointer over the image, press and hold down mouse button, and drag it slightly. This should select image and the Insert/Modify image button will highlight.
- Click image button on the editor toolbar. Insert/Modify Image window will display with selected image.
- From here, you can edit text, layout, spacing, and size.
- When editing size, only specify size along one dimension - make sure to erase other dimension. Editor will automatically set the other dimension to scale the image appropriately and avoid distorting image.
For further clarifications and assistance with creating/modifying KBAs, please contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or (858)246-4357