Reactivate Duo Push
If you get a new phone to use with the same number you have previously used with Two-Step login, follow this reactivation process. The following steps can also be used if your Duo app no longer works. If your app asks for a new QR code or a re-activation link, the following steps will re-activate your Duo app.
As announced in in an October 17 campus notice, UC San Diego has recently experienced an increase in phishing attacks that seek to exploit the phone callback option for two-step login (provided by Duo Security). To reduce the possibility of further incidents, the callback option for Duo two-step login will be progressively retired between November 2022 and March 2023 for all UC San Diego students, academic employees, and staff, including UC San Diego Health personnel. More information can be found on Retirement of the Duo Callback Option.
- If your new phone has a different number, use the device manager (https://duo.ucsd.edu) to delete the old phone and use the Add another device process to register the new phone. This will only work if you have a back up device registered.
- If your phone number has changed and you do not have a backup device registered, please call the Service Desk for assistance.
- If you do not have access to your new phone to use the following steps, please call the Service Desk for further assistance.
Steps to Take
- Go to the two-step login device management page (https://duo.ucsd.edu); log in with your Active Directory credentials.
- Complete two-step login process by selecting the Enter a Passcode button. Since your upgraded phone has the same number, you should be able to perform two-step with text passcode or a token code.
- Select the Device Options button. Make sure the number you see matches the number of your new phone.
- Enter the passcode you have from either your text or token. If you do not have text passcodes readily available, you can receive a text with your passcodes by pressing the “Text me new codes” button on the bottom blue message.
- Press Log In to authenticate and open the Duo portal.
- Select the Reactivate Duo Mobile button.
- Alternatively, you can also click “Add another device” to register a new/different smart phone for DUO Push.
- Follow the prompts to reactivate the device; the prompts will be similar to the first time you registered.