Connect to ResNet Wireless Network
Follow these steps to connect your device to a ResNet network.
- You must have a UCSD username and password to connect to the ResNet network using these steps. If you are a guest visiting UCSD, see Connect to ResNet as a Guest.
- Computers on the ResNet networks must meet the following minimum security requirements:
- Approved Anti-Virus Software installed, running, and updated
- Up to date Operating System (OS)
- Firewall enabled
- Java and Adobe Flash up to date (if installed at all)
- If your device does not have a web browser, it needs to be manually registered by the ITS Service Desk to connect to ResNet. Please submit a ResNet Device Registration Request.
- Some areas offer encrypted wireless. The name of the access point will have an "-E" at the end of the name (i.e., RESNET-MUIR-E). Encrypted wireless connections make it more difficult for others to "listen in" on your wireless conversation. The service cannot encrypt your data through all the paths it travels, but it does offer a more secure connection.
Steps to Take
- If you are connecting via wireless, make sure the wireless antenna is on and your wired connection is unplugged.
- Connect to a ResNet network located in your area. For example, ResNet network will be labeled as "RESNET-ERC" and "RESNET-ERC-E" in ERC or "RESNET-MUIR" and "RESNET-MUIR-E" in Muir college.
- Familiarize yourself with the ResNet Acceptable Use Policy.
- After connecting, open your web browser and you should be redirected to ResNet login page. If you are not redirected, please contact the ITS Service Desk.
- Enter your Active Directory (AD) username and password and check "I accept the Acceptable Use Policy". Click Sign In. (The Active Directory username is usually the first part of your UCSD email address (before @ucsd.edu) and your email password.)
- What type of device are you connecting?
- You will be asked to install the SafeConnect Policy Key to ensure that your device meets our minimum security requirements for the network. Select Download Now.
- Follow the sets to complete the installation. When you are finished, select I'm done installing.
- If the SafeConnect Policy Key is installed correctly and your device meets our security requirements, you will see a confirmation page welcoming you to ResNet.
If your computer does not meet all of our security requirements (listed above), you will receive a message letting you know what needs to be fixed. If you are unsure how to fix the security issue please contact the ITS Service Desk for more information.
- Other Device (phone, tablet, gaming device, media device): These devices do NOT require the Policy Key. If you are using one of these devices, you should be connected after logging in.
- If you are having issues connecting to ResNet's encrypted wireless network on this device, try connecting to the un-encrypted network first (ResNet network without the -E at the end). Then, visit UC San Diego's documentation on how to setup your device to connect to an encrypted wireless network.