CMS: Uploading, Linking, and Saving Files (e.g., PDF, Doc) in Correct Locations
Most content should be in the body of your site pages. This content is accessible and searchable. But there are times when it is appropriate to link to files, such as forms, lengthy supporting documents, printable promotional material, etc.
- Files should be located in the /_files folder of your site in order to keep the CMS organized.
Steps to Take
- Link to a file that is already in the CMS by following the instructions for creating links.
- Update a file while keeping the same system name.
- Upload a new file in one of two ways:
- From the WYSIWYG editor on a page that will link to the file (see below)
- Upload files directly into a files folder for later use (see below)
Use the WYSIWYG to link to a file
- Highlight the text you want to become the link. Make sure you include the file type in parentheses in the link text (for example: PDF, Word file)
- Click the insert/edit link icon .
- The Internal button will be selected by default.
- Click the Choose File, Page or Link box
To use an existing file
- Browse to the file you want to use.
- Select the file
- Click Save & Preview
- Click Submit.
To upload a new file
Note: if you want to put the file in a new subfolder in /_file, you need to create the new folder first.
Specify both the file and the file location within the CMS.
- From the menu bar, select Add Content
- Select File
- On the new file screen that pops up: drag and drop a file in the indicated area or click choose to select a file from your computer.
- The file name will default to the name of the file you chose. Update the file name to follow the rules for system names:
- all lowercase
- use hyphens instead of spaces
- no special characters.
- Choose a placement folder for the file.
- Click Placement Folder
- In the Choose a Folder window that pops up, click Browse.
- Select an appropriate folder inside /_files.
- Click on the appropriate folder in the breadcrumb path to go up levels.
- Click on the name of a folder to open it and access sub-folders.
- Click the radio button next to the folder you want to hold the image.
- Click Choose.
- The Choose a folder window will close.
- Click Save & Preview.
- Click Submit.
Note: You still need to publish your file before it is available on the live site.