Create an Unlisted Link to Kaltura Media
If you want to send a link to your Kaltura media entry to, well, anyone, you can send them an "unlisted link." Like with YouTube, this means that anyone with the URL can view the entry but they can't come to MediaSpace and find it on their own. Unlisted links work for anyone, whether or not they have UCSD active directory credentials.
Unlisted links can only be created within MediaSpace, and any Kaltura user at UCSD can create an unlisted link.
- Making a video unlisted will unpublish it from any channels in MediaSpace. So that means you can't have a video be available as an unlisted link AND reside within a channel. If you need to keep an entry within a channel and make it unlisted, consider duplicating the entry and making the new entry the unlisted entry.
- Making a video unlisted won't affect the video's publication status in Canvas. If you're using the video in Canvas too, making it unlisted within MediaSpace WON'T unpublish it from any Media Galleries in Canvas. It only unpublishes it from channels in MediaSpace.
- Remember that once it's unlisted, the link can be sent to anyone. A link to an unlisted video can be viewed by anyone.
Steps to Take
If you're interested in creating an unlisted link to a video, then you need to perform two high-level actions: setting the entry's publication status as "unlisted," and copying the link to the media page.
Step 1: Set the Entry's Publication Status to "Unlisted"
- If you're not already logged into MediaSpace:
- Go to https://mediaspace.ucsd.edu.
- Click the profile icon at the top right of the page and select Login.
- Enter your active directory credentials.
- Click the profile icon again and select My Media.
- Find the entry in question and click on the thumbnail or title.
- Under the video, click Actions, then Publish in the menu that appears.
- Once the information below populates, select the radio button for Unlisted.
- Click Save.
If your video is published to one or more channels, you may see a message warning you that your video will be unpublished from all channels in MediaSpace if it's unlisted. Click OK if that's the case.
Step 2: Get the Link to the Entry's Page
Now you need to find the best link to the media entry's page. Assuming you're still on the same media page from the first set of instructions above:
- Click on the Share tab below the video.
- After the information below populates, ensure that the Link to Media Page tab is selected.
- Copy the URL that's in the text field. Anyone to whom you send this link will be able to view the media.
Note that you can set start and end times for the video you send, though users can still watch the parts outside of that timeframe if they choose to.