Configuring 2nd Generation Amazon Echo to connect to Wireless Services
Follow these steps to set up your 2nd generation Amazon Echo device to connect to wireless at UCSD.
Before you begin, you must have:
- An Active Directory (AD) username and password. Your username is usually the first part of your UCSD e-mail address (before the @ symbol). If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it.
- A 2nd Gen. Amazon Echo.
1. Download app and register device
- Download the Alexa app in one of two ways:
- Download the free Alexa app from the app store on your mobile device. The Alexa app is available on phones and tablets with:
- Fire OS 3.0 or higher
- Android 5.0 or higher
- iOS 9.0 or higher
- You may also use your Wi-Fi enabled computer to sign in to https://alexa.amazon.com. This page is compatible with:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer (10 or higher)
- Register your device with the UC San Diego hostmaster.
- Complete the registration page
- Check the box that says: My device is UNABLE to use WPA-E/802.1x.
- To find your MAC address information:
- Open the Alexa app menu
- Go to Settings
- Select your device
- Scroll down to see the MAC address section
- Click Submit.
- Recieve your PSK key.
If the device qualifies, you will receive an e-mail confirmation containing a special PSK key to connect to the UCSD-DEVICE wireless network.
Note: Do not share the key with others. The key will only work for approved, registered machines.
2. Connect to the UCSD-DEVICE wireless network
- Plug your Echo device into a power outlet.
- Open the Alexa app.
- In the Alexa app, open the Menu and then select Settings.
- Select your device and then select Update Wi-Fi.
- If you're adding a new device to your account, select Set up a new device instead.
- On your Echo device, press and hold the Action button until the light ring changes to orange. Your mobile device will connect to your Echo and a list of available Wi-Fi networks will appear in the app.
- Note: The Alexa app may ask you to manually connect your device to your Echo device through your Wi-Fi settings.
- Select the UCSD-DEVICE network and enter your special PSK Key. If you don't see this Wi-Fi network, scroll down and select Add a Network (for hidden networks) or Rescan.
- Optional - Save your Wi-Fi password to Amazon: Any Wi-Fi passwords saved during setup automatically appear when you connect a new Alexa device to the same Wi-Fi network. The password is also remembered if you switch between saved Wi-Fi networks. For more information, see Saving Your Wi-Fi Passwords to Amazon.
- Select Connect. Once connected, a confirmation message appears in the app. You are now ready to use Alexa.
For more information submit a ticket or contact the ITS Service Desk, (858) 246-4357 or ext. 6-HELP.