Create DocuSign Templates
Follow these steps to create a new template in DocuSign.
A template in DocuSign is simply a repeatable workflow and set of rules. A template is like a framework that sits on top of (overlays) a base document (form). The content of the base documents can be changed or replaced, but the template can remain the same. One of the major differences between templates and envelopes is that templates include recipient roles rather than specific recipients. These roles are simply placeholders for the eventual recipients of an envelope. It is best practice to create every possible role in the template, as it is easier to remove roles on the fly (as a sender) than to add them to the template.
- Only Form Masters can create templates in the UCSD implementation
Steps to Take
- Start a New Template. From the Templates page, click New Template.
- The Create a Template view appears where you can add files, recipient roles, and messaging
- Enter a name and description for your template.
- To upload one or more files to the template from your local machine or from one of your authorized cloud storage providers, follow the regular procedure described in Add Files.
- To add recipient roles, do the following:
- Define the role for the recipient in the Role field. The role helps template users understand whom to enter as the recipient, when they use the template to send a document. Example: Applicant
Note: Enter a unique Role to represent each individual who must sign your document. Example: Applicant 1; Applicant 2. You can use the signing order option if you need to route the document to the same role more than once.
- Select the signing action for the placeholder role. Example: Needs to Sign
- To add additional recipient roles, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat steps a-b.
- To add named recipients, do the following:
- Enter the person's email address and name.
- Select the signing action for the recipient.
- (Optional) Enter a role for the recipient. The role entry is optional and is useful to define why the person is signing the document. Example: Sales Approval
- To add additional named recipients, click ADD RECIPIENT and repeat steps a-c.
- (Optional) To set a routing order for your document or add an authentication method, follow the regular procedure described in Add Recipients.
- To define a standard message for your template, or to add private messages for individual recipients, follow the regular procedure described in Add Messages.
- (Optional) to set advanced options, such as reminder and expiration schedules, or to add a password to protect your template from being modified, click the Edit link next to the Advanced Options details. See Set Advanced Document Options for more information.
- To save your template without adding fields, click Other Actions and select SAVE AND CLOSE.
- To set the signing fields for your document, click NEXT.
- To add signing fields for each of your template recipients, follow the regular procedure described in Add Fields to Documents.
- To finish your template, click SAVE AND CLOSE.
Your template is saved and ready to use.