How to Request a Catalog Item
The ServiceNow team is happy to work with you to create a Catalog Item. While you don't need to provide all of the answers before you reach out to us, knowing a rough idea of what you want to see happen is encouraged.
- Do you want an item with multiple steps?
- Do you need people to approve certain behaviours or steps?
- Do you want a form that goes to one group if the answer to a question is A and another group is the answer to a question is B?
- What is the name of the form? How would you describe it?
- Have you thought about what you can pull from the system to save steps for your users? For example, you don't need a 'What is your email?' question because we know the user logged in to the portal and can autofill that answer.
- Who has final say on what goes on the form?
- What's your ideal timeline?
- Think about what requirements you need. This includes discussing it with any sponsors, potential customers, and existing agents to make sure you understand the use case.
- Start your process workflow.
- Schedule a meeting with the ServiceNow team to discuss your request by using the Contact ServiceNow Team form on the portal.
- Fill out the required template linked below. This step and step #3 can be done in any order or even together if the template is filled out during the meeting.
- The ServiceNow team creates a SNOW-xxx JIRA ticket for the item and folds it into future sprints.
- UAT or User Acceptance Training occurs. This is where we hand the form off to you and your team to test and let us know what you'd like to see changed.
- Finally, the ServiceNow team releases the item. Releases are done weekly, every Wednesday. You will be notified post UAT, pre-release, that we are releasing the form.
Process workflow - Required for catalog items and order guides
The ServiceNow team prefers a flowchart or swim lane diagram that shows exactly what you would like accomplished. This helps us understand what you're trying to accomplish. It also helps us map steps into any system workflows.
Here is the sample process flow from above. Please go to file → Make a copy and build out a copy for your workflow.
The following are common components of the process workflow:
- Start: User fills out web form
- Approvals: List approvers, and specify if one or all must approve
- Assignment Groups involved and any handoffs
- Decision points
- Completion point
The Form Template
- The ServiceNow Form Template is required for all forms
- Depending on how confident you are in your intended workflow, you can fill out this form before you meet with the ServiceNow team, or, as is most common, you can wait until after you meet with the ServiceNow team. Regardless of when you fill it out, it is a required document for us to start work on the form.
- If you have a visual form mockup, it would certainly be appreciated. We often work off of google doc documents in addition to the question template.
- The template linked above has a tab for notifications, please be sure to include any text that you may want to communicate, including but not limited to
- Item submission confirmation
- Approval (approved & denied)
- Workflow successful completion
- Workflow cancellation
- The template linked above has blank items for necessary fields, please be sure to include organizational information including
- Short Description (title of ticket)
- Description (body of ticket)
- Assignment Group
- Service Offering
- Case type (incident/request if you want a case producing item)