Share a Kaltura Video Published to a MediaSpace Channel
If you've published a video to a MediaSpace channel, there's a "best way" to share a link to that particular video, provided that the person with whom you're sharing has permissions to see what's in the channel.
Because anyone can create a channel and add media, these instructions apply to all UCSD community members with active directory credentials. Because channels are specific to MediaSpace, these instructions aren't applicable to Kaltura within Canvas.
- The media in question is published to a channel in MediaSpace. In case you need it, we discuss how to publish to a MediaSpace channel here: Publish a Kaltura Video to a MediaSpace Channel.
- The user in question has the necessary privileges to view what's in the channel. There are two main things to consider when determining if someone can view a piece of content in MediaSpace: the privacy settings of the video and/or the privacy settings of the channel. So the channel either needs to be public enough for the user to see the content, or they need to be a member of the channel.
Steps to Take
- If you're not already logged into MediaSpace:
- Go to https://mediaspace.ucsd.edu.
- Click the profile icon at the top right of the page and select Login.
- Enter your active directory credentials.
- Click the profile icon again and select My Channels.
- Find the piece of media in question and click on it. (Don't click the pencil icon to edit it - you want to be on the so-called "player page," not the "edit page.")
- Below the video, click the Share tab.
- Click the Link to Media Page, if it's not already selected.
- Copy the URL and send it to the person in question. Note that you can also click Email and your default mail program will open with a message that auto-populates with the link, the title, and the description.
As a reminder, the recipient will only be able to view the media if they have privileges to view the content in the channel.