Add a YouTube Video to "My Media" in Canvas
Kaltura allows users to add YouTube videos to their media repository ("My Media"). It's a nice way to kind of "bookmark" YouTube videos in Kaltura.
This tutorial applies to all Kaltura users (instructors, students, staff, etc.). YouTube entries can be added to "My Media" in both Canvas and MediaSpace, but this tutorial walks you through how to do it in Canvas.
- You can edit the title and description. Though Kaltura will insert what's on YouTube by default, you can change it.
- You can't make any cuts. You aren't able to make any cuts to the video.
- You can't download the video, or enable downloads. You don't have access to any media files.
- In-video quizzes are possible. Interestingly, you can add in-video quiz questions to YouTube entries.
- Ads are disabled. A nice side effect of using the Kaltura player is that it disables ads.
Steps to Take
View our video tutorial on how to do this in Canvas below, or read the text-based instructions further down.
- On the YouTube page, copy the page's URL to your clipboard.
- If you're not already, log into Canvas.
- Go to https://canvas.ucsd.edu.
- Enter your active directory credentials.
- Click Add New and select YouTube from the menu.
- Paste the URL of the YouTube video you want to add in the text field and click Preview. The page should repopulate with the video's information, and the video preview will likely autoplay.
- Edit any of the information that has auto-populated the page (such as name, description, and tags) as desired.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
The YouTube video will now be an entry within "My Media." You can publish and embed it the same way you can with any other piece of media, and even layer an in-video quiz on top of it.