Reset your Active Directory (AD) Password
Faculty, staff, and affiliates can follow these steps to reset their Active Directory (AD) password.
Active Directory (AD) is used to access campus email, the UCSD-PROTECTED wireless network, the UCSD Virtual Private Network (VPN), academic computer labs, Canvas, and many office workstations.
Active Directory (AD) passwords must meet the following requirements:
- Be different from any previous passwords
- Be at least 12 characters long
- Have characters from at least 3 of the following 4 categories: uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and symbols
- Not contain any part of your username or full name
If you have a hard time creating a secure password and remembering it, try using LastPass. Learn more about how to take advantage of LastPass Enterprise offered by UCSD on our LastPass Blink Page.
Steps to Take
- Navigate to the Active Directory password change tool (www.password.ucsd.edu)
- Enter your Active Directory (AD) username and click Continue
- Your username is usually the first part of your UCSD email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org (do not include the "@ucsd.edu" part)
- Faculty, staff, and affiliates will select from a list of options to reset the Active Directory (AD) password. Students please go to "Reset your Student Account Password" for more in-depth instructions.
- Follow the on screen instructions to complete the password change
- Once the password is successfully reset, please note that the password change may take up to 15 minutes to go into effect.