Enable Channel Collaboration
One particularly nice feature about channels in MediaSpace is that you can configure them so that certain members are automatically given collaborator roles on all media published to the channel. You can allow these members to be co-editors, co-publishers, or both. (Learn more about collaborator roles in our documentation on adding collaborators.)
In other words, you can configure your channel so that you (and/or others) are able to edit and/or publish anything added to it.
These instructions are specific to MediaSpace, but apply to all Kaltura users at UC San Diego (with active directory credentials).
Things to Keep in Mind
- Users aren't notified when publishing content to your channel that others will have edit and/or publish access to it. Be sure to alert users who contribute content to your course that others will have co-editor and/or publisher access to any videos they add.
- If media are removed from the channel, the collaborators aren't automatically removed. They'll need to be removed manually by the media owner.
Steps to Take
- If you're not already logged into MediaSpace:
- Go to https://mediaspace.ucsd.edu.
- Click the profile icon at the top right of the page and select Login.
- Enter your active directory credentials.
- Click the profile icon again and select My Channels.
- Find the channel in question, hover your mouse over its thumbnail, and select the pencil icon that appears in the lower right corner.
- Click the Collaboration tab near the top of the screen.
- Uncheck the box for Use global settings. The checkboxes below should become available.
- Select what channel roles you want to receive the collaborator permissions.
- Select the permissions you want to give to the channel role(s) you identified in step 6: co-editor, co-publisher, or both.
|Co-editor||Can edit all aspects of a video including changing the title, editing the captions, making cuts, etc. They can also download it. Not able to publish it in different channels or delete it.|
|Co-Publisher||Can publish a video to other channels. Also able to make the video an unlisted link. |
- Click Submit.
- If you already have content published to the channel, you'll need to apply your settings to the existing content. If this applies to you:
- Click the Users tab near the top of the page.
- Click Update entry collaboration permissions.
All existing content will be changed according to the settings you identified in the "Collaboration" tab.