Configure VPN Access for iPhone / iPad 6.x and above
Follow these steps to connect your iPhone or iPad to the UCSD virtual private network (VPN), which lets you create protected connections to UCSD's network from remote locations. There are two options available to setup the UCSD VPN connection on your iPhone or iPad:
- iPhone/iPad must have 6.x firmware or later installed.
- You need your Active Directory (AD) username and password. If you don't remember your AD username or password, you can either reset it at password.ucsd.edu or contact your department's systems administrator.
- Your AD username is usually the first part of your UCSD email address (before @ucsd.edu) and is only 8 character in length.
- Those who are using the two-step login, or those are required to use the two-step login, will not be able to use Option 2 at this time. You must use Option 1 which allows you to select a 2-Step Secured connection group and use two-step authentication.
Steps to Take
Option 1 - iPhone app
1. Using your iPhone or iPad, download Cisco AnyConnect app from the App Store.
2. Add a VPN Connection:
- Click on Connections.
- Click Add VPN Connection
- Fill out the requested information:
- Description: UCSD VPN
- Server Address: vpn.ucsd.edu
- Click Save.
- When prompted if you would like to "Add VPN Configurations", click Allow.
3. Connect to the VPN:
- On the main page, toggle the AnyConnect VPN button to On position.
- Select your desired connection profile from the Group drop-down menu:
- 2-Step Secured* - Needs to be used if you are enrolled in Duo Two-Step authentication
- allthruucsd - Route all traffic through the UCSD VPN
- Use alltrhuucsd when accessing Library resources and the CMS
- split - Route only campus traffic through the UCSD VPN. All other traffic goes through your normal Internet provider.
- Enter your Active Directory (AD) username and password.
- Click Connect.
4. To disconnect the session, toggle the AnyConnect VPN button to OFF position.
Option 2 - Download the Configuration Profile
Note: Two-step login accounts, which includes faculty & staff members, must use Option 1.
1. Download iPhone/iPad VPN configuration profile
- Using your iPhone/iPad, open Safari and download the VPN Configuration profile.
- Log in using Single Sign-On with one of the 4 methods under the Sign on with: pull-down menu.
- We recommend using the Active Directory option, since most UCSD users have this type of account. Your AD username is usually the first part of the UCSD email address (before @ucsd.edu).
2. Install the profile
- Select Install.
- Select Install Now on the following screen.
- If prompted, enter your iPhone/iPad security code (i.e., passcode).
3. Create VPN profile username and password
- Enter your Active Directory username/password for the VPN profile.
- Enter profile username, click Next.
- Enter profile password, click Next.
- Select Done.
4. Connect to the VPN
- Select Settings.
- Slide the VPN switch to the ON position.
- Enter your Active Directory username and password.
3. Disconnect VPN
- Select Settings.
- Slide the VPN switch to the OFF position.