Upload a Workbook to Tableau Server
This article assumes you have created a Workbook on your desktop, have a folder set up for you on Tableau Server and have permissions to publish to that server. If any of these are not true then please email email@example.com.
Steps to Take
- Open your Workbook.
- Click on the Server menu and confirm that you are signed into the Tableau Server you want publish to.
- From the Server menu click on Publish Workbook.
- Set you publishing settings.
- Required: Use the drop down icon to select the project folder you want to save the workbook to.
- Required: Name your report.
- Optional: Add a description.
- Optional: Add Tags
- Add all or a limited number of sheets to publish.
- You do not have to publish all of the sheets in your workbook.
- Click on the Edit link to select which sheets to publish and which not to.
- Permissions – leave default
- Data Sources – leave default of Embedded password
- More options.
- Check Show sheets as tabs if you want each worksheet/dashboard/story to appear as a tab when you are viewing other worksheets/dashboards/stories.
- Check Show selections if you have default selections in the display filters that you would like the workbook to use.
- When done, click Publish at the bottom right corner.
- If you have publishing over top of an existing workbook Tableau will give you a warning error.
- "A workbook named 'SAH-College Reports' is already in use. Click Yes to overwrite it."
- Click Yes to publish your new version of the workbook.
- Tableau will open a browser window to the workbook you just published and show you a confirmation message. “Publishing Complete”
- You have successfully published your workbook.