DocuSign - Adding Fields to a Document
Learn how to add fields to a document in DocuSign. Fields indicate to your recipients where they should sign, initial or add information in the document. They are like interactive electronic sticky notes on the document.
Once your envelope includes files, recipients, and messages, you add the fields that instruct your signers to provide their signature, initials, or other information. You add a unique set of signing fields for each recipient.
Add Fields View
The Add Fields view has the following basic areas:
- Recipients. Lists all of the recipients who will receive your documents to sign. The fields you add apply only to the selected recipient and are color-coded to match the recipient's assigned color. You can add fields for the recipients you designate as signers. Use the Edit Recipients option in the recipient list to edit details, or add or remove recipients.
- Undo/Redo and Copy/Paste. Icons for one-click access to these common field actions. Standard keyboard controls are also supported, as well as a right-click context menu for easy field management.
- Standard Fields. Displays the set of standard fields you can add to your document. Select Custom Fields to use, add, or edit your custom fields.
- Page Guide. Contains a scrolling list of all of the pages in your document. This list includes all of the pages of all of the files you added to the document. Click on any page in the Page Guide to make it the active page of your document. From the Page Guide, you can also delete and rotate individual pages from your documents and use Other Actions > Edit Documents to add, remove, or reorder documents.
- Field Properties. (Not shown) Contains the properties for a selected field or fields, allowing you to edit things like formatting, recipient assignment, and tool tips. This panel slides in over the Page Guide when one or more fields are selected.
Steps to Take
How to add fields to a document
- Start a new envelope and add documents and recipients as usual, and then click Next.
- In the recipients list at the top of the page, select a person to add fields for. Note: The fields you add apply only to the selected recipient and are color-coded to match the recipient's color. You can only add fields for the recipients you designated as signers.
- Use the page guide to scroll through the pages and add more fields for your recipient.
- To adjust the look, the assigned recipient, or other characteristics of a field, click the field. The Field Properties panel slides in over the page guide. Set the properties as desired.
- From the Fields palette at left, click and drag one of the available field types to add it to the active page.
- In the page guide at right, select a page you want to tag with fields. The selected page becomes the active page and displays in the center panel.