CMS: Version 5 (V5) Upgrade information
New Design Options
Learn how you can upgrade your CMS site to the latest version (V5)
Image Rich Design
The latest version of the CMS templates, V5, feature a new look and feel and based on the image-rich ucsd.edu design.
- Modern design sensibility through the use of new fonts, colors, and layouts.
- Modular approach provides flexibility to create efficient visual scanning with minimal supporting text
Two new templates are available:
- Example of a new homepage
- Content will most likely not move over as is. The new template has much more room for images and less room for text
- Once your site is upgraded, the WTS team will help you repurpose your existing homepage content into the new template
- Two column page
- Example of a new two column page
- Pages currently using the two column template will migrate as is but you will have access to the new modules in both templates
Six different modules can be added to either of these templates, in any number and in any order. Follow the links to see examples:
- Call to action: Headline, single text area, and a button (with link) presented beside an image
- Call to action inset: Headline, text area, and button presented in a box floating above the image
- Callout content: Headline with two or three text areas (with links) presented in separate boxes floating above an image
- News with images: Headline and link to a news page above three news entries. Each news entry consists of an image above a date, title and link
- Text block: Headline with two or three text areas (with links) presented in separate boxes floating above an image
Prepare for Upgrade
- Review your site content for pages that can be streamlined or removed
- Prepare images of the correct size for the new V5 elements
- Expect this to be a process as you experiment with how the images display at different screen sizes and interact with text overlays
- Make sure you have enough contrast between your images and any text that will float over it
- Required image sizes are different from previous template versions
- Hero: 1440 x 530 pixels, white text
- Call to Action: 550 x 370 pixels
- Call to action inset: 1200 x 388 pixels
- Callout content: 1200 x 410 pixels, white text
- News with images: 388 x 246 pixels
Request an Upgrade
Contact email@example.com to have your site added to the upgrade list.
- Let us know how far along your preparations are.
- Do you have a collection of potential images?
- Have you reviewed your content or do you have people committed to reviewing content?