Reporting Support for Student Data


Student reports are created with different tools and by different teams across UCSD.  Identifying the team that owns the report you would like to use is your first step.


How do I request access to existing reports?

For Student Queries in Cognos, Tritonlink and Blink

For other reports, review your options below.


Who do I contact regarding student data and student reports?

Have you reached out to your divisional/departmental/school analyst?  Your local analyst can route your request as needed:

VC Academic Affairs Report Support: email

VC Student Affairs Report Support:

Registrar Office Report Support: email

Provost Cognos Reports or College Cognos Reports:



What to include in your request:

Existing Reports:

New Reports:


If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket or email