Install Kaltura Capture Within Canvas
Kaltura Capture is free screen/microphone/video recording software that is available to the UCSD community. Anyone with active directory credentials can install this desktop software (instructors, students, staff, etc.).
- Kaltura Capture records to your hard drive as well as uploading to the cloud. When you record using Kaltura Capture, it will keep your recording files on your computer in addition to uploading them to the cloud. If you intend to use Kaltura Capture, be sure you have some disk space available.
- It's more reliable on Windows. We've observed less stability with Kaltura Capture on Macs.
- System requirements: see Kaltura's documentation on your computer's system requirements for Kaltura Capture. It works on both Macs and Windows computers.
- You can create dual-stream recordings. If you elect to record your camera and screen, then your recording in Kaltura will be a dual-stream recording, which allows viewers to control the arrangement of the two video streams. Handy!
Steps to Take
- Within Canvas, click My Media in the left navigation.
- Near the top of the screen, click Add New and select Kaltura Capture.
- On the page that opens, click the download link appropriate to your computer's operating system.
- Double-click the file once it's fully downloaded and follow the instructions provided by the application to install it on your computer.