Kaltura Capture is free desktop software available to all UCSD community members that can be used to record your screen, camera, and microphone. Anyone with active directory credentials (students, instructors, staff, etc.) can use this software to create videos.
Keep the following in mind:
- Kaltura Capture records to your hard drive as well as uploading to the cloud. When you record using Kaltura Capture, it will keep your recording files on your computer in addition to uploading them to the cloud ("My Media" in Canvas and MediaSpace). Be sure you have enough space on your computer before starting a recording.
- It's more reliable on Windows. We've observed less stability with Kaltura Capture on Macs.
- Dual screen recordings. If you elect to record your camera and screen, then your recording in Kaltura will be a dual-stream recording, which allows viewers to control the arrangement of the two video streams.
- Kaltura Capture automatically inserts chapter markers if you use PowerPoint. The software will automatically generate chapter markers each time your slides advance. It will also index the text content of the slide, allowing students to search for it.
- You can use live annotation tools. If you wish, you can use Kaltura Capture's live annotation tools to add arrows, text, etc. as you record your video.
Steps to Take
See our video tutorial on how to record using Kaltura Capture below, or follow the text-based instructions. (Note that the user launches the software via Canvas in this video.)
There are four main things you need to do in order to record a Kaltura Capture video:
- Launch Kaltura Capture
- Select your recording preferences
- Start the recording
- Stop and upload your recording
Use the links above to jump to a desired section or just read below.
- Reboot your computer. (This helps ensure a better recording.)
- Close all software that you won't be using during your recording.
- Open Kaltura Capture.
- Windows: Click on the search bar at the bottom of your screen. Start typing Kaltura Capture, and double-click it when you see the application appear in the list.
- Mac: Click the magnifying glass icon (Spotlight) in the upper right corner of your Mac and start typing Kaltura Capture. Press enter when the application pops up in the search results.
Note that once the software is installed, you can also just launch Kaltura Capture manually (that is, not through Canvas, but just by opening the application on your computer). It will not change the fact that your video will be uploaded to the "My Media" section of Canvas.
For each recording, you'll need to select what combination of screen, camera, and microphone you'd like to record.
- Select what screen you'd like captured by clicking the caret under the screen icon.
- If you only have one screen, there should be only one option.
- You can elect to capture either your whole screen or just a part of it.
- If you want to record only part of your screen, click the caret under the screen icon, select the screen you'd like to capture from the pull-down list, and then click the radio button for Select Area. You'll have several different sizes from which to choose and Kaltura Capture will display a semi-transparent box to give you an idea of how big each box will be. Drag the box around your screen to identify the section of your screen you'd like captured.
- If you don't want to capture any screen, click the screen icon and it will turn gray with a slash through it.
- Select what camera you'd like to use by clicking the caret under the camera icon.
- If you only have one webcam, there should only be one option.
- If you have a second monitor, you can elect to record a second screen rather than your camera.
- If you don't want to record any video, click the camera icon and it will turn gray with a slash through it.
- Select what microphone you'd like to use by clicking the caret under the microphone icon.
- If you want sound from your webcam, select that option.
- If you have a microphone on your computer and just want to record that, choose that option.
- If you don't want to record any audio, click the microphone icon and it will turn gray with a slash through it.
- Click the red record button. A 3-second countdown will begin indicating when the recording will begin.
- Wait a few seconds after the countdown completes before you begin speaking. (Depending on your computer, it may take a few moments for your camera, mic, and screen capture to "kick in" and synchronize.)
Once the Kaltura Capture session has started recording, the application window will shift to a smaller version with modified controls. Note that this recorder window will be visible in your screen capture, though you can minimize or hide it if you wish.
See the table below for more detailed descriptions of each of these icons / functions.
|Stop button||Ends your video and prompts you to upload it to "My Media"|
|Pause button||Suspends your recording until you press the record button again. |
|Gray X||Cancels and deletes the recording. Click this only if you truly intend to discard what you've already recorded. It will not be recoverable!|
|Timer||Not clickable; indicates how long you've been recording|
|Microphone icon||Not clickable; indicates whether or not you are recording from your microphone. It does not allow you to mute or change your microphone.|
|Pencil icon||Opens a submenu offering onscreen annotation options. See our tutorial on Kaltura Capture annotations if you're interested in using these.|
Gray line above the pencil icon
|Minimize the control window|
- Click the square button to stop your recording. Don't click the gray "X" unless you want to discard/delete your recording.
- Click Yes, Stop it to confirm that your recording is complete.
- Give your video a title, description, and tags, if desired. All of this can be edited later in Canvas or MediaSpace.
- Click Save & Upload.
- To be on the safe side, wait until the video has finished uploading before you close Kaltura Capture. You'll see a notification pop up that indicates that your upload has completed.