Download a Transcript for a Kaltura Video
Kaltura supports captions - which display in the media player as it plays - as well as transcripts, which are automatically generated based on the caption file. Anyone who can see the transcript widget below a Kaltura media player can download the transcript.
This tutorial applies to all UCSD Kaltura users: students, instructors, and staff with active directory credentials. Transcripts can be downloaded in Canvas and in MediaSpace.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You need to see the transcript widget in order to download the transcript. The transcript widget sits in a small gray box below the Kaltura media player and is collapsed by default. Most videos in Canvas and MediaSpace use it, but users can choose to embed videos using a player that doesn't have it. So we can't guarantee you'll see it everywhere. With this in mind, you'll find the transcript widget:
- When viewing videos in "My Media" in either Canvas or MediaSpace
- When editing videos in "My Media" in either Canvas or MediaSpace
- In videos viewed within a Canvas Media Gallery
- In videos viewed within a MediaSpace channel
- In most videos embedded within Canvas
- For the purposes of this documentation, we're assuming that you're looking at a Kaltura media player with the transcript widget visible.
- Want to edit the text? You can only edit the text for a video if you're the owner or a co-editor (see our documentation on Kaltura collaborators if needed). You can't just be a viewer. There are currently 3 ways you can edit the words associated with a Kaltura media entry:
Steps to Take
Under the video with the transcript widget, click the download button. That's it!