How to Request a Student FICA Adjustment
FICA withholding errors are usually the result of an SSN mismatch across systems, not having an SSN, or an incomplete Glacier record. To get a FICA refund, follow the steps below.
Wages payments are subject to FICA withholding. For student employees, FICA is the combination of Medicare and DCP Safe Harbor. There are 2 exceptions:
- Students enrolled in 6 units or more are exempt from FICA withholding on that month’s pay.
- Non-citizens who are nonresident aliens for tax purposes and who have a complete Glacier record are not subject to FICA withholding. Residency for tax purposes is determined by the Glacier Nonresident Alien Compliance System (“Glacier”). Email email@example.com for more information.
Steps to Take
Student FICA adjustment process
- SSN agreement in all systems.
- If you don’t have an SSN*, go to step 2.
- If you have an SSN, make sure it’s entered correctly in the Glacier, UCPath, and Registrar’s systems, then go to step 2.
- Enter your SSN in Glacier
- Log in to Glacier
- Enter your SSN
- Continue through to the end of the record and print the forms Glacier generates
- Sign and mail forms to the UCSD Payroll Division as directed below.
- If you haven’t already done so, follow steps 2 and 3 at the bottom of the Your Tax Identification Number page from the Registrar’s Office.
- Enter your SSN in UCPath.
- Log in to UCPath
- Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right corner
- Click “Search Solution”
- Enter SSN in search box
- Choose Update my Social Security Number (SSN) and follow the instructions
- Get proof of enrollment from the UCSD Registrar’ office. See the TritonLink's Transcripts and Verifications page.
- Notify the Registrar’s office that you were not on the unit file submitted to UCPath so FICA was withheld from your payment(s) despite your being enrolled in 6 units or more at UCSD, and ask them to make sure you’re on the file in the future.
- Submit a case to UCPath
- Log in to UCPath
- Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right section of the screen.
- Submit an inquiry for myself (you may not see this screen.)
- Topic: Payroll
- Category: Tax Withholding Inquiry
- Subject: FICA refund for full-time student
- Description: Attached is proof that I was enrolled in 6 or more units at UCSD in [month name], so I qualify for the student FICA exemption. Please refund Medicare and DCP withholding.
- Attach the proof of enrollment you got from the Registrar’s office.
*See International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) Social Security Number (SSN) page.