How to Request a Student FICA Adjustment


FICA withholding errors are usually the result of an SSN mismatch across systems, not having an SSN, or an incomplete Glacier record. To get a FICA refund, follow the steps below.

Critical Concepts

Wages payments are subject to FICA withholding. For student employees, FICA is the combination of Medicare and DCP Safe Harbor. There are 2 exceptions:

Steps to Take

Student FICA adjustment process

  1. SSN agreement in all systems.

    1. If you don’t have an SSN*, go to step 2.

    2. If you have an SSN, make sure it’s entered correctly in the Glacier, UCPath, and Registrar’s systems, then go to step 2.

    3. Enter your SSN in Glacier
      • Log in to Glacier
      • Enter your SSN
      • Continue through to the end of the record and print the forms Glacier generates
      • Sign and mail forms to the UCSD Payroll Division as directed below.

    4. If you haven’t already done so, follow steps 2 and 3 at the bottom of the Your Tax Identification Number page from the Registrar’s Office.

    5. Enter your SSN in UCPath.
      • Log in to UCPath
      • Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right corner
      • Click “Search Solution”
      • Enter SSN in search box
      • Choose Update my Social Security Number (SSN) and follow the instructions

  2. Get proof of enrollment from the UCSD Registrar’ office. See the TritonLink's Transcripts and Verifications page.

  3. Notify the Registrar’s office that you were not on the unit file submitted to UCPath so FICA was withheld from your payment(s) despite your being enrolled in 6 units or more at UCSD, and ask them to make sure you’re on the file in the future.

  4. Submit a case to UCPath
    1. Log in to UCPath
    2. Click the yellow “Ask UCPath” button in the top right section of the screen.
    3. Submit an inquiry for myself (you may not see this screen.)
    4. Topic: Payroll
    5. Category: Tax Withholding Inquiry
    6. Subject: FICA refund for full-time student
    7. Description: Attached is proof that I was enrolled in 6 or more units at UCSD in [month name], so I qualify for the student FICA exemption. Please refund Medicare and DCP withholding.
    8. Attach the proof of enrollment you got from the Registrar’s office.

*See International Students & Programs Office (ISPO) Social Security Number (SSN) page.

If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket