How to update Federal Tax Withholdings in UCPath
This article is intended for active UC San Diego employees. Federal tax withholdings can be updated by employees themselves in UCPath.
In order for active UC San Diego employees to service themselves, an employee MUST be: A U.S. Citizen, Non-citizen national of the U.S., U.S. lawful permanent resident, a refugee or asylum status, in the U.S.under DACA, or a resident alien for tax purposes with no tax treaty.
Steps to Take
- Login to UCPath: https://ucpath.universityofcalifornia.edu/
- Select University of California, San Diego
- Login using your active directory information
- Dashboard Navigation: Income and Taxes > Federal Withholding (W-4) or Menu Navigation: Employee Actions > Income and Taxes > Federal Withholding (W-4)
- Before you update your federal withholding, you must validate your identity. UCPath randomly displays one of the security questions set up on your profile. Click in the Security Question field. For this example, click in the Who is your childhood best friend? field.
- Enter the desired information into the Security Question field. For this example, enter Molly
- Your answer appears as a series of dots. Click the Submit button.
- If you answer the question correctly, UCPath displays the W-4 Withholding Certificate page, and you can make your changes. If you answer incorrectly, an error message appears. You have three attempts to answer this question correctly. After three incorrect answers, UCPath displays the Security Questions Setup page. You must provide your date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number to validate your identity and then update your security questions and answers.
- Use the W-4 Withholding Certificate page to complete or review and update your withholding information for Federal income tax. Select the appropriate option in the Filing Status section. In this example, Married filing jointly (or Qualifying widow(er)) is selected and no change is needed.
- Click the scroll bar.
- Complete steps 2 through 4 on the form only if they apply to you.
- Click the View Instructions link for more information regarding Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works.
- Read the instructions for Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works.
- Complete Steps 3 through 4(b) on the form for only one of these jobs.
- Click the scroll bar.
- If applicable, complete the fields under Step 3: Claim Dependents.
- Click the View Instructions link for more information regarding Step 3.
- Read the instructions for Step 3: Claim Dependents.
- If applicable, complete the fields under Step 4: Other Adjustments.
- Click the View Instructions link for more information regarding Step 4.
- Read the instructions for Step 4: Other Adjustments.
- Enter or verify the tax year for which you are claiming an exemption.
- If you are claiming an exemption, select the last check box on the page.
- Click the Submit button.
- You have completed or updated your Federal withholding in UCPath online. A confirmation email is sent to the primary email address on your account. You can identify your primary email address under Employee Actions > Personal Information > Personal Information Summary
- Please reference the url below. Example uses sample images as seen on a computer. Sample images appear differently on a tablet or smartphone, but the steps remain the same: https://sp.ucop.edu/sites/ucpathhelp/SelfServiceUsers/PORplayer/data/printit/027379de-f3ae-40a7-afc4-2fecc02d9702_SPD.pdf
Please note that UCSD Central Core Payroll cannot legally advise on what to enter on tax withholdings. Please seek advice from a licensed tax professional if you have further questions regarding your current tax situation.
Please refer to Update My Federal Withholding for step by step instructions with screenshot to follow. Example uses sample images as seen on a computer. Sample images appear differently on a tablet or smartphone, but the steps remain the same.