How to Add and Drop Dependents
This article discusses Life Events. Outside of the Open Enrollment period, you can add/de-enroll a dependent only during a qualifying life event.
- Life event and benefit changes for Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D), Disability Insurance or Life Insurance can be made by the employee via Employee Actions within designated time periods of the specific event.
- Benefit changes related to a loss or gain of outside coverage are not allowed in Life Events in Employee Actions. Employees must contact the UCPath Center for benefit changes related to loss or gain of outside coverage, such as with a spouse.
Qualifying life events include:
- Divorce. (Divorce decree or court order as proof of divorce must be submitted)
- Establishing or ending a domestic partnership
- Birth of a child
- Legal separation, annulment
- Child or grandchild’s loss of eligibility for coverage
- Death of an eligible family member
- Coverage received elsewhere (i.e., new job)
You can de-enroll or change your benefits through the UCPath self-service option for the following life events:
- Birth or Adoption
- Benefit Changes for AD&D, Disability or Life
- Establishing of Domestic Partnership
Steps to Take
For detailed step by step instructions or simulation, go to the UCPath Help sites outlined below:
Other Qualifying Life Event Changes
To de-enroll a dependent for other qualifying life event reasons not mentioned above, you must submit the Health Benefits Enrollment Form for Life Event with any supporting documentation. You have three ways to submit this form:
- Go to UCPath online, click Ask UCPath, click Submit An Inquiry, and then submit an inquiry and attach the form.
- Fax the form to UCPath at 855-982-2329.
- Mail the form to UCPath:
14350-1 Meridian Parkway
Riverside, CA 92518
If you have additional questions regarding your benefits you can find information on how to contact UCSD Benefit Representatives.
You may also call UCPath Center directly and speak to an Employee Services Representative at: 855-982-7284 (Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. PST).