Kuali IRB Quick Sheet – Steps to Submitting a New Application
7 Easy Steps
- Click the “Protocols” box from the Kuali Home tiles or go directly to https://ucsd.kuali.co/protocols.
- In the upper right corner, click “+ New Protocol” and select “IRB”.
- Fill out the basic project information click “Next” in the upper right hand corner.
- Select the relevant application type. If you do not know what application to select, reference our decision tree here (link to KB0033558) to help you find the right selection.
- Complete the information about your project.
- Under “Supporting Information”, attach all the relevant documentation and materials for the IRB to review with your application.
- Note: Documents that require stamping (i.e. consent/assent documents and recruitment materials) must be uploaded in PDF format and have the relevant attachment type (i.e. Informed Consent/Parental Permission, Assent, or Recruitment Materials) selected in the Kuali application.
- Click the “Submit” button in the panel on the right side of the screen.
The following references may be helpful in your preparation of a new application. Materials are available at https://esr.ucsd.edu/project/kuali-irb/index.html and https://support.ucsd.edu/research?id=kb_view
- Decision tree for selecting a new application
- Kuali IRB User Manual for Research Teams
- Kuali IRB New Application Checklist
- UCSD training session on using the Kuali IRB system
- UCSD training session on completing a biomedical or social/behavioral new project application
- UCSD training sessions on various topics like converting existing projects, modifying projects, etc.
If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to reach out to the UCSD IRB office at with questions.