Set up Zoom Virtual Office Hours on Canvas
Zoom is an online video conferencing tool that can be used in conjunction with Canvas course sites to hold meetings and virtual office hours. More information about Zoom is available on the UC San Diego Blink Zoom page and the EdTech Support page.
- By default all non-UCSD Health faculty, students, and staff will have Zoom Pro accounts, allowing for meetings of unlimited length with up to 300 participants. If you need to schedule meetings with a larger participant capacity submit a large meeting request form.
- Note: The Zoom link in Canvas cannot be accessed by users in the UCSD Health domain.
- Zoom meetings can be scheduled via the Zoom course navigation link in Canvas (described below) or via the Zoom Desktop client.
- To schedule a Zoom meeting through Canvas, you will need to have the Teaching Assistant, Course Designer, or Teacher role in your course.
- Meeting participants and hosts can launch the meeting directly from the Zoom page in Canvas. The meeting will also appear on the Canvas Calendar for members of the course, which may generate an email notification.
Steps to Take
- Log into canvas.ucsd.edu and navigate to your course site.
- Using the white course navigation menu on the left side of the page, click the Zoom link.
- Click the blue Schedule a New Meeting button in the upper right corner of the page. This will take you to the meeting scheduler.
- Select the settings you would like for your Zoom meeting:
- Topic - This will appear as the meeting title
- Scheduling Options - Select the date, start time, duration of meeting, time zone, and whether or not this will be a recurring meeting
- Audio and Video Options - Select whether or not you would like to use a webcam and whether to allow your students (participants) to share webcam video. For the audio options, we recommend selecting both so that if your students have any trouble with using their computer audio they can easily dial in to the meeting via a phone as well.
- Meeting Options - Choose from options such as setting a meeting passcode and allowing participants to join before the host.
- Alternative Hosts - If you wish to allow a TA or co-instructor to start the meeting, enter in their email address. Otherwise, only the person who scheduled the meeting will be able to start the meeting.
- At the bottom of the page, click the blue Save button.
- A meeting summary page will appear. On this page you can:
- View the join URL or the meeting invitation
- Add a poll.
- Navigate away from this page by clicking Course Meetings in the upper left of the page to go back to your course's Zoom landing page.
- Navigate back to the meeting summary page at any time if needed.
For further assistance, please submit a ticket or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org