Replace Your Student ID Card


Students can obtain a replacement ID card if their current ID card is lost or no longer works.

Critical Concepts

Steps to Take

The Campus Cards Office is currently open by appointment-only. Please follow these steps to request a new ID card and an appointment at our office:

          1. Submit a case via the Services and Support Portal 

          2. Campus Cards staff will provide you with a link to our online scheduling system. 

The Campus Cards Office is not taking photos at our office at this time. If you would like to use a new photo for your new ID card, you can either attach a new photo to your case, or submit a new photo via our online photo tool. Please be sure that your new photo meets all of our photo criteria. 


If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket.