Tax Intercepts: I am unable to pay my entire past due balance. Do you have payment plan options?

If you are unable to pay your entire balance due, you may request a timed payment agreement (TPA) from our office. Submit a Time Payment Agreement form under Guest Support. One of our representatives will review your account and reach out to create a timed payment agreement with you.


TPA payments can be made with cash, personal check, cashier's check, or money order, directly to the Central Cashier's Office or via online credit card payment.

Note: Credit card payments include a 2.75% processing fee.


If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket.