Your Newly Acquired ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)


Review this KBA to learn about the impact of obtaining a new ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) as it pertains to your 1098-T form. 


ITIN Information

If you acquire a new ITIN, it is not necessary, nor is it required, to update or amend this year's 1098-T form. The current version of the form will suffice for tax purposes. Your new ITIN will instead be reflected on next year's 1098-T form. 


If you acquired a new ITIN last year, and it is not reflected on this year's 1098-T form, please let us know, and we will do our best to resolve the issue. 

Note: The 1098-T form is solely provided to help you determine your eligibility of the Education Tax Credits. UC San Diego is unable to provide individual income tax advice. If you have specific questions on how the 1098-T form affects your tax responsibility please contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or your personal tax advisor regarding your eligibility or the calculation of these tax benefits.

If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket or call our office at 858-246-5900.