How to pay your bill using a 529 Plan
Steps to Take
If you would like to pay your bill with an electronic 529 payment, please follow these instructions:
- Log into TritonPay: https://commerce.cashnet.com/ucsdpay?sso=true.
- Click on "Make a Payment," on the left hand side menu.
- Select what you would like to pay and click "Checkout."
- Select "New 529 Savings Plan" and fill out the appropriate fields.
- Click "Continue." You will be redirected to the 529 savings plan website where you will be asked to log in with your 529 savings plan account username and password. After logging in, you will be able to review your account balance and choose to pay with your 529 savings plan or cancel to return and select a different payment method. Only payments that are equal to or less than 90% of your 529 savings plan account balance will be permitted.
- Please note: Only available for certain financial institutions that are part of the Asensus Network ($10 service fee). Service fees are assessed by Transact and will not appear on student's account.
If you are wanting to mail a 529 check to UC San Diego to pay your bill, please follow these instructions:
- Send a copy of your quarterly billing statement to your 529 administrator
- The billing statement will include your quarterly tuition and registration fees, as well as any on-campus housing fees.
- Ask your 529 administrator to mail a check to the Central Cashier’s Office.
- Include the full name and the student ID number (PID) on the check.
- Make the check payable to UC Regents.
- Send the check to the following mailing address:
UCSD Cashier's Office
9500 Gilman Dr. MC 0009
La Jolla, CA 92093-0009
- The Central Cashier’s Office will then process the prepaid educational savings plan (529 plan) payment and apply it to the student’s account.
A Few Reminders
- Since the University does not accept overpayments, you cannot submit a payment for the entire year. You can only submit a payment for the amount due according to the billing statement.
- Mailed 529 payments must arrive by the due date to avoid late fees and other penalties (i.e. dropped from class), as the University does not accept postmarked dates as on-time.
- As an alternative, select the electronic 529 payment option in TritonPay to pay your bill instantly. Only available for certain financial institutions that are part of the Asensus Network ($10 service fee).