Triton Cash Refund


A student can request to close their Triton Cash account and receive a refund, if the student has withdrawn or graduated from the University. 

Staff, Faculty, and Graduate students may request closure and refund of their Triton Cash accounts at any time.   


Critical Concepts

Steps to Take

Complete Payment Compass self-registration 

  1. Log in using your SSO credentials to  
  2. Complete the self-registration form  

Email Triton Cash Services 

  1. After completing self-registration, please email the Triton Cash Services the following information      at  
    • Name
    • PID 
    • Request (Triton Cash Refund)
    • Reason (Graduated or Withdrawn) 
    • Are you a former student employee? (Yes/No)
    • Payee ID  

        2. Students will be notified via email that the request has been processed by Triton Cash Services.                  Students should receive payments 1-2 weeks after request has been processed.  

If you still have questions or need additional assistance, please submit a ticket or []